Monday, September 27, 2010

The Good ones

This weekend was what I am calling a good one. Bonnie and I "batted 1000", went 3 for 3. We had the perfect storm of things hit us this weekend. We managed to schedule and or be scheduled into 3 things this past Sunday that we HAD to attend. We started the morning around 8 in the morning with a WOW weekend event at our church. W.O.W or church With Out Walls is something we do at Desperation Church every month. We leave the building and go out into the community to serve in the name of Jesus.
That was an 8-12 adventure. We had a very important business meeting at our church at 1:00. Followed by a ministry commitment at 3:00. We took 24 young girls bowling and grilled them some hamburgers and hot dogs. WAY to much for one day if a restful Lord's day was what you had in mind. But when it was all over I felt it was one of the best day's and more of a "Lord's day" then most.
I saw in the morning 18-20 (just on the project we tackled) people come together to work for free so Jesus might be glorified. I met some new brothers and sisters that attend our church but we had never met. I saw people on staff at the place we worked who seemed so thankful for the help. I saw people in the nursing home waving and smiling as we worked. I saw Jesus glorified.
We then went to our meeting. A potentially hot topic that could have caused division in our church. I saw a near unanimous vote. An amazing display of unity and support for our leadership. An amazing demonstration of the belief that God is in control. I saw Jesus Glorified.
Then I raced to our outreach at the bowling alley. I saw people who support our ministry grilling and getting things ready. I saw young girls with backgrounds that make me weep. They laughed and cheered, ate way too much and maybe took a break from the drama that is their life. I thought of all the people who support our ministry Northland Compassion Ministries. Many who don't get to see all the amazing things God is doing with NCM. Yet, they give faithfully, trusting that God is in charge.
I was weary last night. But it was a good weary. I thought of this verse "The sleep of a laborer is sweet, whether he eats little or much, but the abundance of a rich man permits him no sleep."
I want to be a laborer of Jesus. I know that I traditionally bat around .180. Mostly because I don't prepare or trust or whatever. But it's good to have a game or two when it all clicks. When you really feel like, #1 God has placed so many great godly people around you. #2 God is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment