Thursday, February 18, 2010

Joe Stack

In case your not up to speed on Joe Stack here you go. Joe just caught his house on fire today, possibly with his 12 year old stepdaughter and wife in it. He then got in a plane and flew it into an IRS building. I just read his suicide note and am in awe. I am sorry for Joe Stack. Sorry that he felt the world was out to get him. He speaks against the Catholic Church, government and many others. He has reminded me of why we should seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. Could this world get us down? Absolutely! Should it lead us to the conclusions that Joe Stack came too? No way! Even the homeless in this country are in better shape than huge amounts of people in this world. If a Joe Stack had been born in Africa or Haiti to different circumstances what would his life have been like? What is it that causes all of us to chase some elusive dream of wealth until we get it or it drives us crazy? Or we give up and realize that life consists in more than the abundance of our possessions.

I am so sorry for people that don't have the love of Jesus Christ to help them think. The mind of Christ is the only way to process this world. The pain and suffering some go through takes my breath away. I am not talking about the pain and suffering of Joe Stack and those like him. I am talking about the pain and suffering of some who watch little children die in front of their very eyes and can do nothing to help them. The pain of losing your children or watching them suffer could surely send most over the edge. So many in this world truly suffer and seem to have every human reason to say why me Lord? But it's not usually those who snap. It's not those who's day to day existence requires herculean strength that snap. It's not those dealing with the special hardships of having handicapped children or children with cancer or spouses with Alzheimer's that snap. Most of the time it's those who many would say are doing OK with life. Yes financial problems can drain us. Yes losing jobs suck. But may I never get anything in my life that I can't handle losing. I want no job, no home, nothing that so captivates me that I would rather die or kill than lose it.
May God lead the Joe Stacks of the world to people who love God and love others. May we speak words of life to those who are hurting so badly. I am sorry Joe that you never seem to have found the peace that surpasses all understanding. Lord help us do a better job of reaching the Joe's of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment